Cybersecurity has become one of the topmost concerns of modern society as a whole. In response to these concerns, the VPN industry has geared up its expansion. Today, there are numerous VPN providers competing with each other to earn a place in the list of top VPN services available in the marketplace.
We have prepared this article as a simple guide to assist you in selecting the best VPN service out of the large pool of existing providers. Let us get right down to it.
Figuring Out the Right VPN
Your decision to opt for the best vpn service should be based on your needs. Below we discuss three common situations in which you would need to deploy a VPN service.
Using Public Wi-Fi Hotspots
If you wish to use a public Wi-Fi at the airport, library, or a mall, you cannot trust the connection as being safe. In this scenario, using a VPN service is essential in order to maintain your privacy and security.
If you intend to use BitTorrent clients like uTorrent, a VPN is the minimum security measure you can take. Although there is no guarantee that a VPN can prevent the government from finding out your torrenting activity, it might help grant you an alibi.
A VPN masks your real IP address and makes it appear as if your IP belongs to a different country. Thus, even if the government suspects you, a VPN can give them a hard time pinning down your real IP address to illegal P2P activity.
Lastly, a VPN service is the best option you have if you want to unlock geo-restricted websites and services. Netflix, iPlayer, and other streaming services are inaccessible from many countries. A good VPN service can easily allow you access to these services from anywhere in the world.
VPN Features Checklist – How to Select the Best One?
We discussed above the major situations in which a VPN service becomes necessary. Here, we will highlight the key features that you should look for in a VPN provider. These are:
- Number of Server Locations: The more extensive the number of server locations, the wider access you can have to restricted content throughout the Internet.
- Encryption Protocols: VPN service providers that use outdated and insecure protocols like PPTP must be avoided at all costs. You should go for a VPN provider that offers OpenVPN, which is the latest, fastest, and most secure encryption protocol.
- Number of Simultaneous Connections: This is important if you want to connect multiple devices to the VPN such as your smartphone and PC.
- Bandwidth Throttling: If you VPN throttles the bandwidth, it will be of no use to you for purposes of gaming and/or streaming. Therefore, it best to avoid VPNs that offer restricted bandwidths.
- Kill Switch: If the main purpose you are using a VPN is to maintain anonymity, then a kill switch system is essential for your VPN to have. A Kill switch basically “kills” your connection if you suffer a speed drop, so that your data is not leaked to the regular Internet.
We suggest you to take note of this checklist, as it could come in handy when you are trying to figure out the best VPN to go for.
As the number of VPN providers increases in the industry, it is extremely important to be able to discern a top quality VPN. In this guide, we highlighted the main purposes for which a VPN becomes essential. In addition, we prepared a feature checklist that you can use to distinguish between a strong and a poor VPN.
We hope this article would prove to be useful in your search for the best VPN. Leave a comment below to share your thoughts.